Welcome to the website for the Master Gardener Foundation of Thurston County (MGFTC). We are a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization whose purposes are:
- To support and enhance the Washington State University Thurston County Extension Master Gardener/Master Recycler Composter (MG/MRC) Programs.
- To facilitate the exchange of ideas and information between members of the organization.
- To inform and educate the citizens and decision makers of Thurston County about the value of the MG/MRC programs.
The foundation is the major contributor, supporter and sustainer of the Thurston County Demonstration Gardens. We also help fund the clinics which provide gardening information to the public in Thurston County. Comprised of volunteers, the foundation organizes educational field trips to nearby horticultural sites, sponsors guest speakers at foundation meetings, and hosts an annual plant sale.
Join the Foundation
The foundation is also sustained through membership dues. Please join us today and support the clinics, demonstration gardens and compost program.
The Master Gardener Foundation of Thurston County is recognized as a vibrant community of people interested in gardening, recycling, and composting.
Support an environmentally healthy community by raising funds for and awareness of the WSU Master Gardener and Thurston County Master Recycler Composter Programs.
2019 Foundation Goals
- Improve Foundation membership experience
- Communicate with current membership (volunteers and non-volunteers) through a quarterly update newsletter or email vehicle.
- Appoint Activities Chair and sponsor 3 events.
- Survey membership regarding activity preferences.
- Ensure the sustainability of the Foundation through leadership development including strategic planning.
- Develop written operating manuals for Board members and committee chairs to provide for successful transitions and ongoing operations of the Foundation.
- Increase Foundation visibility and outreach throughout Thurston County
- Develop Publicity Plan for year-long activity calendar
- Celebrate demonstration gardens with community events in July
- Embrace available technology to ensure Foundation effectiveness
- Implement available technology for web-based membership applications and cashier system for retail and outreach events.
- Support the Thurston County MG Program with the implementation of the Cervis volunteer data system
- Improve diversity of Fundraising
- Explore long-range planning for fund-raising efforts and grants
- Assemble photo calendar of demonstration gardens for sale prior to 2020.