Dirt Works Children’s Garden provides a FREE summer program held on Tuesdays with special events on some Saturdays. The activities are led by WSU Thurston County Master Gardeners.
Weekly garden chores allow children to work alongside Master Gardeners and learn. There are also games, stories and crafts based on a garden subject. Children ages 4 years through 12 years may participate. A parent or guardian must accompany children at all times during the program.
Although programs are free, we ask that you register in advance by the Friday before the program you plan to attend. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, contact information and age(s) of children planning to attend. When you arrive, you will also be asked to sign-in and complete a participation form. Each child must have a completed form on file to participate.
Activity Dates and Times
Tuesday 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon.
2017 Information (download 2017 brochure)
- July 18th – Sensational Seeds
- July 25th – Vermi-“wormy”-Compost
- August 1st – Fabulous Flowers
- August 8th – Bodacious Bugs
- August 15th – Garden Birds
- August 22nd – Rainbow Gardening
Please e-mail email@example.com and provide your name, contact information and age(s) of children planning to attend.
- Raised planting beds for vegetables and ornamentals
- Gardening displays for the physically challenged
- Flowers for cutting and drying
- Plants that are fragrant
- Herbs, sunflowers, pumpkins
- Bee and Butterfly garden
- Compost area
- Fruit trees and small fruits
Location and Directions
Dirt Works is in west Olympia on Alta Street off of Capital Mall Drive, behind Apple Park Apartments and Yauger Park. Go to the middle of the parking lot to park near to the garden entrance. Walk down the Nature Trail by the kiosk with the green roof and the garden entrance will be on your left. [map]