Welcome to the website for the Master Gardener Foundation of Thurston County (MGFTC). We are a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization whose purposes are:
- To support and enhance the Washington State University Thurston County Extension Master Gardener/Master Recycler Composter (MG/MRC) Programs.
- To facilitate the exchange of ideas and information between members of the organization.
- To inform and educate the citizens and decision makers of Thurston County about the value of the MG/MRC programs.
The foundation is the major contributor, supporter and sustainer of the Thurston County Demonstration Gardens. We also help fund the clinics which provide gardening information to the public in Thurston County. Comprised of volunteers, the foundation organizes educational field trips to nearby horticultural sites, sponsors guest speakers at foundation meetings, and hosts an annual plant sale.
Join the Foundation
The foundation is also sustained through membership dues. Please join us today and support the clinics, demonstration gardens and compost program.
The Master Gardener Foundation of Thurston County is recognized as a vibrant community of people interested in gardening, recycling, and composting.
2020 Foundation Goals
• Improve Foundation membership experience
- Implement publication of quarterly newsletter, “Roots ‘n Shoots”
- Appoint Activities Chair and sponsor 3 events.
- Survey membership regarding activity preferences.
• Ensure the sustainability of the Foundation through leader ship development including strategic planning.
- Review existing Board member manual and revise as necessary. Prepare to be presented in January 2020 orientation.
- With collaboration of existing Committee Chairs, write Committee Chair job descriptions.
- Conduct Board retreat with facilitator for team building and SWOT analysis.
• Increase Foundation visibility and outreach throughout Thurston County
- Establish Communications Team to provide more cohesive communications across all MG and MRC activities.
- Enhance, Refresh, Replace Demonstration Garden infrastructures.
• Embrace available technology to ensure Foundation effectiveness
- Purchase additional audiovisual and electronic equipment including screen, projector, microphone.
- Continue to support implementation of Cervis volunteer data system.
• Improve diversity of Fundraising
- Continue building grant and sponsor development team, including strategic, appropriate asking.
- Build on success of 2020 calendar and develop improved calendar for 2021.